Breaking up can be extremely difficult, whether you have been in a relationship before or this is your first relationship. Regardless of the conditions of the breakup– and even if you were the one who wanted to the breakup– breakups usually involve some amount of pain. Watch this Ted Talk on breakup recovery.
What are normal reactions?
- Feelings of sadness and grief
- Feelings of hurt
- Feeling overwhelmed by the thought of dating again
- Worried you won’t find anyone else
- Obsessing about your ex and wondering whether s/he has moved on
What can you do?
- Take care of your body by prioritizing sleep.
- Eat regularly.
- Reach out to the people who care about you.
- Maintain healthy boundaries with your ex– don’t be friends until or unless you are able to JUST be friends. Impose a 30 or 60-day no contact rule.
- Use healthy rather than unhealthy coping (e.g., alcohol, cannabis, cigarettes, etc.)
- Focus on other parts of your life that might need your attention (e.g., changing careers, moving apartments, dealing with your finances, etc.)
- Watch this Ted Talk about The Person you really need to marry
- Read what has helped others in their breakup recovery
Need more support? Reach out to one of our providers that specialized in breakup recovery.